Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Release date: January 4 2011

Publisher: Harpercollins Australia

Number of pages: 432

My rating: 5/5

Unearthly exceeded all expectations I had for it. Lets face it, even though it's an amazing book, the blurb sucks. As soon as I read it, I thought : "Bleh. Another shitty angel book." I promptly put the book back on the shelf and walked away. How wrong I was! Even though the blurb makes it sound like a pile of crap, this book was amazing! And that cover... *hyperventilates*. I love the Australian cover. The US one looks a bit dull to me.

The characters were really good. Clara, the main character, wasn't whiny or annoying. She wasn't depressing or boring. My biggest problem with people in YA books, is that half of them are all like: "Wahh, I'm such a loser! I really want to be cool, but I'm just so lame. *Cries*." And it makes me want to tear my hair out. Clara wasn't like that. She was strong, she was stable, and she didn't care about her hair, her clothes, or how cool she was. A lot of people should learn from her.

Christian was alright. He seems nice enough, but Tucker rules! Tucker could beat Christian anyday! Tucker is so nice and sweet, and I love his sister, Wendy. Christian was pretty boring, and we didn't get to know him very well.

Wendy was awesome! She was a totally sweet farmgirl, and a very loyal person. She also loves horses! Maybe I'm a bit biased, because I love horses just as much as she does, and when I found out that she liked horses, I actually squealed a little. I didnt like Angela that much. She seems very suspicious to me, and she was really obsessed with finding out more about angel stuff. I absolutely hated it when Clara ditched Wendy, one of the best characters in this book, to hang out with Angela. What were you thinking, Clara!

The other characters were pretty cool as well. I like her brother, and her mother was pretty interesting.

The plot was fantastic! I loved every bit of it, and the romance was very well done. It wasn't instant, and it wasn't superficial. It actually seemed real, and I loved every bit of it! It was very well developed, and I was cheering for them throughout the entire book.

Unearthly was a fantastic book, definitely worth a read. It's not like other angel books, with their crappy romance, annoying characters, and no plot. Definitely one of the best angel books I've ever read.

Comments

Popular Posts