Devil's Due by Rachel Caine (ARC Review)

Release date: 1 February 2013

Publisher: Mira Ink (Harlequin UK)

Number of pages: Unknown

My rating: 3/5

WARNING: Review may contain spoilers for Devil's Bargain (the first book in the duology). To see my review on Devil's Bargain, click here

Devil's Due was a pretty nifty end to an interesting duology. Now, I definitely had a few problems with Devil's Bargain (it's predessecor), but I definitely enjoyed this a bit more.

Devil's Due follows the story of Jazz and Lucia, who start their own investigation company. In the beginning of Devil's Bargain, they made a deal with a big corporation. They can do whatever they want, but when a red envelope comes, they must follow the instructions. In return, they get a lot of money to fund their operation. Soon, they discover that there is much more to this game than meets the eye. Two rivalling corporations are run by psychics, and Jazz and Lucia are "leads," and everything they do impacts the future around them. In Devil's Due, someone has made a mistake, and everything starts to screw up big time.

Unfortunately, I had the same major problem with Devil's Due that I had with Devil's Bargain. The concept may be original and all, but damn, is this duology confusing! Why do the psychics do what they do? What makes Jazz and Lucia so special? What the hell is Borden's place in all this? I still didn't get some of the key points, but in this book, everything started to fall together a little more.

Devil's Due was packed full of action, and I enjoyed reading it. It was a very action orientated book, with an evil corporation after than and all. There was a bit of betrayal, which I absolutely love to see in a book!

The characters were all right. I still didn't connect with any of them, and I found Jazz and Lucia to be pretty similiar. Sure, Lucia dresses and looks better than Jazz, but other than that, there isn't much difference between the two. My favorite character in the duology was Pansy. She was really down to earth, and very different from all the other characters. However, I loved seeing her in the book.

Now, with the hard to understand concept, it probably isn't a good idea to read Devil's Due before you read Devil's bargain. Devil's Due jumps right into the action, without stopped to explain things. Even after reading Devil's Bargain two months before beginning Devil's Due, I found many things confusing, and it took me a while to understand everything again.

Devil's Due does have one major improvement compared to Devil's bargain. In Devil's Bargain, the first half was very slow, and the last half went very fast. So slow that I considered putting the book down many times. Luckily, Devil's Due moved at a faster and more even pace.

If you've read Devil's Bargain, I definitely reccomend reading Devil's Due. It's a great finish to the duology. And if you haven't read Devil's Bargain yet, then you should go out to the library and grab yourself a copy, ASAP!

Comments

Popular Posts