And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard (ARC Review)


Release date: January 28 2014

Publisher: Delacorte Press

Number of pages: 240

My rating: 2/5

This is definitely not a book for me. However, I can see this being perfect for a poetry lover.

Emily Beam is at a boarding school after her boyfriend commits suicide. She makes a few friends and begins writing poetry to deal with her problems.


Hmm… I’m honestly not entirely sure about my feelings towards this book. The writing is absolutely beautiful, and the poems are fantastic. But like poetry, it can sometimes be hard to understand and find meaning in the book.

There are a lot of flashbacks in this book. While all of them were interesting, they disconnected me from the story. This is really about the aftermath of Emily’s boyfriend’s death and her trying to deal with it. Because of this, the entire story of Paul and Emily’s relationship is told through flashbacks. I would have preferred it if more of the book took place in the present.

Also, while I’m on the topic of time, why is this set in 1992? I guess the absence of modern technology makes the poetry more meaningful, but other than that, it feels rather pointless.

All the characters are likable enough, and there are no huge flaws in this book, but if you like poetry, then this is definitely a must read.

An ARC was recieved from the publisher via Netgalley.

Comments

Popular Posts